Expressing wishes and hopes
We use wish that+ constructions with would, could, was, were or past tenses to express wishes for unlikely or impossible situations and to express regret.
- A- unlikely situations
- I wish The Arab nations will unite to find a solution to their problems.
- I wish I were a president.
B- Impossible situations
- I wish I had wings to fly high and cruise round the world.
C- Regret ( or feeling sorry for a past action )
- I wish I didn’t fight with my teacher.
D- wish + unreal past ( to express regret about a present situation.)
- I wish I could drive a car.
- I wish I lived in Agadir.
E- to express a wish for the future
- “ I wish my son would write me letters every day” says a mother whose son lives inLondon
E- wish is used to express dissatisfaction for a present situation and a hope for a change in the future.
Eg : I wish they would change the family code one of these days.
- I wish they would stop making bombs.
F- wish is used when a person does not control what he hopes for.
Eg – I wish it would stop raining
- I wish the train would come soon.
j- for wishes about things that are positive and seem likely in the future,we use hope +that clause with simple present or future will forms
eg – I hope that will spend a nice journey in friwatou
- I hope that the world does not lose sight of hungry children inAfrica.
By Mr Omar
Lycée IBN-BATTOUTA – AKLIM